To view the pictures on this page at a larger size - move your mouse over the pic and left-click.
Above - 'Scottie' pictured at Oswestry on the afternoon of Saturday January 30, 2009. Photo: Copyright Gareth Evans.
Built - Ruston & Hornsby, Lincoln, 1957.
Works Number - 412427.
Weight - 20 tons.
Engine specification - 4 cylinder, 4 stroke diesel engine of Ruston type 4VPHL, with air start.
Wheel arrangement - 4WD, chain driven on both axles.
Braking - air train brakes.
Livery - currently lined green.
Owner - Cambrian Diesel Group.
Built in 1957 , 'Scottie' worked at the Northfleet Terminal Ltd, Northfleet, Kent. Donated to the North Downs Steam Railway (NDSR) by Bowater Scott in 1980, it was restored to working order before going on display at Chattham Historic Dockyard, where it saw some use hauling ex London Underground cars on passenger trains. The NDSR subsequently started operations in Dartford, which saw 'Scottie' carry the legend 'No.1' on its buffer beam, and where it hauled passenger trains. However, with the merger of the NDSR and Spa Valley Railway, the loco was moved to the latter's Tunbridge Wells West base, where it was used to haul some of the first works trains on the line. It also worked some passenger trains, being quite capable of hauling two coaches.
Acquired by the Cambrian Diesel Group (CDG) in 2005, the loco underwent a mechanical overhaul at Tunbridge Wells West depot by the previous owners as part of the sale agreement. The loco was unloaded at Oswestry on Sunday 1st April 2007.
Currently sporting a lined green livery, 'Scottie' requires a re-paint. At the time of going to press, a decision had yet to be made about the loco's livery.
Prior to despatch to Oswestry, 'Scottie' received a mechanical overhaul at the Spa Valley Railway's Tonbridge Wells West depot, as illustrated in pictures 1 and 2 above taken by Gareth Evans on the afternoon of 16th July 2005. Following arrival at Oswestry on Sunday 1st April 2007, the loco was tested along the CRS line to Middleton Road Bridge, pictured here in photo no.3 and photo no.4 in the company of the Cambrian Diesel Group's other locomotive, 'Telemon'. Photos ~ Copyright Gareth Evans ~