Cambrian Railways Society - Rolling Stock Index

fflag_yddraiggoch.gif - 0 Bytes ~ Cymdeithas Rheilffyrdd Y Cambrian Cyf. - Cerbydau ~ fflag_yddraiggoch.gif - 0 Bytes



>>>... Back to CRS home    



This section lists all locomotives & powered vehicles currently in the Society's posession.

Diesel Locomotives

Steam Locomotives

Miscellaneous




>>>...Diesel Locomotives...<<<

...Of the Society's nine diesel locomotives, six are currently operational, one is on display in the museum, whilst another two are in store pending a lengthy restoration.

webkif_2649th.JPG - Alpha    'Alpha' 0-4-0DH, built by F.C.Hibbered in 1962 as works no.3953. Weighing 23 tons, the loco is now extremely rare for its type in being fitted with a Dorman 6LC engine. In recent years, the locomotive has benefitted from an extensive overhaul, with almost every part of it having received some sort of attention. While its early history in unknown, in the early 1970s, 'Alpha' was in use by TAC Construction Materials, at the firm's 'Bold Works' site in Farnworth, Lancashire. Saved from the scrapman by the Cheshire Lines Steam Railway Group, it was first moved to the Llangollen railway in 1987, where following little use, it was moved to Oswestry in 1991, where it has been a shunter ever since.

Status: Operational, Oswestry.


webkif_2325th.JPG - Telemon    'Telemon' 0-4-0DM, built by Vulcan in 1955, No.295. For a more detailed history and photographs, visit Telemon's own pages here.

Status: Operational, Oswestry. This loco is owned by the Cambrian Diesel Group.


webdscf9417th.JPG - Scottie    'Scottie' 0-4-0DM, built by Ruston & Hornsby of Lincoln in 1957. For a more detailed history and photographs, visit Scottie's own pages here.

Status: Operational, Oswestry. This loco is owned by the Cambrian Diesel Group.


webclaireabriddonshunterth.JPG - 'Claire'    Hudswell-Clarke 0-4-0, no.D1288 of 1967.

Status: Operational at Llanddu Junction. This loco is owned by CRS volunteer Andrew Briddon and will prove invaluable in assisting with the re-opening of the Llynclys Junction to Blodwell railway line.


webimg_4433abriddonshunterth.JPG - 0 Bytes    'Kimberley', English Electric 0-6-0DH no.D1230 of 1969.

Status: Operational at Llanddu Junction. This loco is owned by CRS volunteer Andrew Briddon and will prove invaluable in assisting with the re-opening of the Llynclys Junction to Blodwell railway line.


webimg_4433abriddonshunterth.JPG - 0 Bytes    'Jana', English Electric 0-6-0DH no.D1201 of 1969.

Status: Operational at Llanddu Junction. This loco is owned by CRS volunteer Andrew Briddon and will prove invaluable in assisting with the re-opening of the Llynclys Junction to Blodwell railway line.


>image0031t.jpg - 0 Bytes     Hudswell 0-4-0DM, built by Hudswell in 1951, No.D893. Having worked regularly until the engine bearings started to give problems, it was withdrawn in 1996. However, in late 2004 work started on its repair.

Status: On display in the Cambrian Railways Museum, Oswestry. Overhaul commenced.


webkif_2435th.JPG - 0 Bytes    0-6-0 DM, built by Hunslet in 1946 as works no.3526. Powered by a Gardner 8L3 engine, fitted with three-speed gearbox. Acquired for preservation from Tunnel Cement at Penyffordd works, Flintshire.

Status: Awaiting restoration, on display at Oswestry.


webkif_4819th.JPG - 0 Bytes    Hunslet 0-4-0DH no.9222 of 1984. Of interest is that the ‘new’ bodywork is that from Thomas Hill no.257V of 1975, which itself was undergoing a full re-manufacture.

Status: Stored awaiting overhaul at Llanddu Junction. This loco is owned by CRS volunteer Andrew Briddon.




>>>...Steam Locomotives...<<<

webkifoliver_leafletpic_c1_bth.JPG - 0 Bytes    'Oliver Veltom' 0-4-0ST, built by Peckett & Sons in 1951, No.2131. This loco is being returned to steam - visit # 'Operation Oliver' Homepage for further details, although at the time of writing is awaiting further funding.


webkif_2355th.JPG - 0 Bytes    'Adam', 0-4-0ST, built by Peckett & Son, Bristol, 1916, no.1430. Acquired for preservation from the Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Co. It has a tenuous Cambrian connection, for its former owners built bridges and bridge girders for the origial Cambrian Railway company, most notably Barmouth bridge, rebuilt in 1909 and also the Severn bridge at Forden, nr. Welshpool in 1921.

Status: Partly stripped. Under assessment for cosmetic restoration for display in Cambrian Railways Museum, Oswestry.


>webkif_0612th.JPG - 0 Bytes    Known affectionately as 'The Barclay', 0-6-0ST, built by Andrew Barclay & Co in 1900 as works no.885. Acquired for preservation form Polkemmet Colliery, at Whitburn, West Lothian, Scotland.

Status: Awaiting restoration, in store at Oswestry.


normaatmaestegwashery15thjuly1969th.jpg - 0 Bytes    'Norma' 0-6-0ST, built by Hunslet in 1952, No.3770. Acquired for preservation in 1983 from the National Coal Board, the loco latterly worked at Pontardulais colliery in South Wales, and before that, at Maesteg.

Status: Overhaul part-complete, now awaiting raising of funds.




>>>...Miscellaneous ...<<<

webkif_0605th.JPG - 0 Bytes    'Parry People Mover No.11, built JM Parry Associates, Cradley Heath, West Midlands, in 1998. Status: Operational, on display in the Cambrian Railways Museum.

webgptrammimg_2815th.JPG - 0 Bytes    GP-TRAMM 98205, built in 1985. Status: Operational, at Llanddu Junction. This unit is owned by the Cambrian Diesel Group.


Back to CRS home